Thursday, May 9, 2013

Needle and Thread: A Blogging Endeavor

My name is Jennifer Cawley. I am 24 years old. I have my Bachelors degree, and i am currently trying to pursue my passion for sewing and fashion. Currently i do quite a bit of "freelance" sewing, i run an Etsy shop, and i work for Utah State Theatre sewing costumes.

I decided to start this blog for many reasons. In no certain order my reasons were: i needed an outlet to share the sewing and fashion knowledge that i have gained in my 24 years of life; i have an absolute passion for sewing, and i enjoy helping others to learn more about the things that i love; i was so sick and tired of seeing "fashion" or "sewing" blogs in which people "teach" how to sew... while not knowing correct techniques themselves, and making it up as they go.

I was taught how to sew from a very young age. So young, i dont remember actually learning, or the techniques my mom, aunt, and grandmothers used to teach me. I DO remember when i hated sewing. I DO remember being so frustrated with projects that they got thrown in a bag, or a drawer, never to see a sewing machine again. I remember trying to sew a new dress on Saturday night to wear to church the next day, and failing. I also remember when things finally started to "click" for me. It was only when i relaxed and did it for the fun of it, not stressing about it, or trying to decipher pattern instructions that i began to enjoy sewing. For me, that moment is something that changed my life, and my career path, but i always return back to the proper techniques and skills that i was taught. The basics. If you know the basics you can do just about anything.

I have worked for the past 4 year for the Utah State University Theatre Department in the Costume Shop. I had never before taken theatre classes, or done anything with theatre besides going to see shows, but i got the job because i could sew, and knew how to thread a serger. Working for the Theatre at a University has given me ample opportunity to work with students. Teach them, and see them struggle. I have also seen the despair, and the stress, confusion, the tears, the intensely low self-confidence that comes with seam ripping for hours and re-doing a project five times in a row. I have had to learn how to teach, and it has NOT come easily for me, but through this struggle i think i have learned things that i need to share: common problems, simple techniques, impressive things that are actually very simple to execute. Things that will hopefully build up any beginners' confidence in their abilities to learn. Even if you just want to learn some basic things like: how to sew a button back onto your shirt, or to hem pants by hand.

Some of the things i would like to share on this blog will include my behind-the-scenes working as the cutter/draper for the Old Lyric Repertory Company this summer. The process that we go through as we take a show's designs from renderings to the stage is quite a magical process, that i still find fascinating. I'm given opportunities to build incredible things like those in these pictures from last season at OLRC last summer:



(photo credit: Spencer Potter)

If anyone has suggestions of posts you would like me to do, please e-mail me, or comment. I will try to fill this blog with step-by-step pictures and instructions. I want this blog to be helpful, and informative.

--Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment